I have been actively incorporating self-care activities into my daily routine. It is not always easy to make the time for myself with my busy schedule. Trying to balance #momlife, work, and building my brand keeps me very busy. In order for me to give my best to my daughter, my family + friends, my clients and my followers, I have to make time for taking care of my physical and mental self.
Making time for myself seems impossible most of the time, but by slowly incorporating small self-care activities into my daily routine, I have found ways to help myself relax and prioritize my physical + mental health. When I make the time for physical self-care, even if it is only for 15 minutes within a day, I feel better because I did something for just me and my body.
physical self-care Tips
Showing my body love through physical self-care is about giving my body what it needs. Nourishment, relaxation, rest, and activity are priorities for me in my physical self-care. I am a firm believer that in order for anything to become habitual, you have to start slow and take minor steps to reach your massive goals.
For those of you who are unsure of how to begin to enhance your self-love journey by incorporating self-care and body love activities into your daily routine, here are 50 self-care and body-love tips that can guide your new journey:
1. Take a Detox Bath
Ingredients: Epsom Salt, Baking Soda, Lavender Oil
How To: Begin to fill tub with water that is as hot as you can stand it. While tub is filling up, add 1 cup of Espom Salt, 2 cups of Baking Soda, and 10 drops of Lavender Oil (you can substitute the Lavender Oil with Espom Salt with Lavender in it). Mix the ingredients in the bath water. Soak for at least 1 hour.
2. Light Aromatherapy Candles
3. Try a new food
4. Do deep breathing exercises (to view my favorite deep breathing exercise, read my article The 4-7-8 (Relaxing) Deep Breathing Exercise)
5. Take a walk outside and enjoy nature
7. Light White Sage – Aromatherapy
8. Soak in the Sun
Vitamin D is a mood enhancer and its amazing for the skin (in moderation) so get outside, use SPF and soak in the sun.
9. Stretch Your Body for 10-15 minutes a day
According to Joshua Wortman, Bodybuilding, Supplements, Nutrition, and Strength Training Coach, in an article by Breaking Muscle,
“Stretching a total of six times per week, whether it be every day stretching or stretching twice daily on fewer days. And remember, in this study, participants only stretched one minute per leg total each session!”Joshua Wortman
10. Listen/Dance to Calming Music
Johnnie Lawson – Relaxing Nature Sounds “The calming sounds of nature help insomnia suffers as a sleep aid, they help concentration for study and relaxing.”
11. Elevate your legs 6-12 inches above the heart (lay flat on the floor with your legs up and against the wall, sit in a chair with your legs elevated, prop your legs up on a pillow in bed)
According to the Vein Institute, when you elevate your legs:
…you’ll notice, feels good immediately. It takes the pressure off your leg veins first and foremost, encouraging the blood to flow out of your leg veins emptying them, and undoes the pressure of the day by giving your veins a break for a few hours as blood flow moves away from the legs and courses through the rest of your body.Vein Institute
12. Put your hand on your heart – be connected with your body
13. Meditate for 5-30 minutes
14. GIVE YOUR BODY A COMPLIMENT
15. Put on some music and DANCE
16. LOG OFF! Turn your phone off for 1 hour a day
17. Go swimming.
18. Make music (you do not have to be a musician to make music – use boxes, pot & pans, spoons, your body, etc.)
You do not have to be sleeping to rest. Just be. Don’t do anything; put your phone down and rest your mind and muscles.
21. Drink more water
Add fruits and veggies for taste and other health benefits; my favorite is cucumber water with lime, lemons, or both
22. Ride a bike
23. Go to the park and play like a child (swing on the swings, slide down the slide, play on the monkey bars, etc.)
24. Climb a Tree
25. Touch your body
Physical touch is so powerful and it does not have to be sexual but it is sensual. How often do you caress or just feel your body? Follow Ev’Yan Whitney to learn more about sensuality and to join her #sensualselfiechallenge
26. Go Hiking
27. Lift weights
28. Take a long hot shower
29. Go Running
30. Read a book or some poetry
31. Take a fitness class
32. Try to Eat Clean for 1 meal every day
33. Give Yourself a Hug
34. Get a Massage
35. Put together a puzzle
Puzzles are great way to challenge your brain. Physical exercise is just as important as mental exercises.
37. Drink Tea
39. Try Skateboarding
40. Practice Yoga
41. Laugh out loud
According to Geek Swipe, here are the physical health benefits of laughter:
- Muscles Get a Physical Workout
- Blood Pressure Drops
- Oxygen Intake increases
- Suppresses Physical Pain
- strengthens immune system
- respiration improves
- psychological wellness
42. Take a Nap
43. Go to the OBGYN once a year
44. Take the stairs instead of the elevator
45. Use Essential Oils
46. Use Feminine Hygiene products that are free of alcohol, dyes, and perfume
47. Take Vitamins daily
49. Use Lavender – Great for Relaxation
50. Get at least 8 hours of sleep every night
I hope these body love self-care tips assist you as you in your self-love journey. Self-love is not vanity and selfishness; it is including the 10 Branches of Self-love into your lifestyle every day, including active self-care.
© 2019, Ta’lor L. Pinkston, LADYHOOD journey